Say what you will about Apple, but there is no denying they did a good job with Siri. It continues to be one of the most popular digital assistants, and it’s also among the most robust. Those new to this AI tool are probably wondering which Siri commands can be helpful, and today we are here to give you some ideas. Here is a list of the best Siri commands you can use on your Apple devices.
Editor’s note: The amount of available Siri commands is astounding. We don’t want to bore you with a complete list. Instead we are focusing on the ones we believe will be the most helpful to you.
What is Siri?
Let’s start with some basic information for those who might be new to Siri or the Apple ecosystem. Siri is an AI (artificial intelligence) digital assistant which can help with a variety of tasks. These include getting general information, sending messages, making calls, taking notes, playing music, navigating and much more.
Siri can be used through text or voice commands. It comes installed in Apple platforms like iOS, MacOS, iPadOS, tvOS, watchOS, and HomePod.
Hey, Siri. Are you listening?
Digital assistants are commonly activated with trigger words, and Siri is no exception. If you want Siri to start listening, simply say the words “Hey, Siri.” Then simply say your Siri command out loud.
There are other methods for getting Siri’s attention. iPhone users can press and hold the home button. Newer iPhones have no home buttons, so activating Siri can be done by pressing and holding the side button. You can double-tap AirPods to activate Siri. On Apple Watches you can press and hold the digital crown. The process is a little different with each device. “Hey, Siri” always works, though!
Best Siri commands for basic phone management
- Call [name].
- Text [name].
- FaceTime [name]
- Send an email to [name].
- Check my voicemails.
- Read my messages.
- Open [app].
- Take a picture.
- Take a selfie.
- Turn on/off Wi-Fi. (Or any other setting).
- Lower/increase volume to [percentage].
- Mute my phone.
Best Siri commands for information
- What time is it?
- What’s today’s date?
- Tell me about today’s weather.
- Is it raining?
- How is traffic today?
- What is the definition of [word]?
- What is the etymology of [word]?
- Tell me a synonym for [word].
- How much is gas right now?
- How do you say [word] in [language]?
- How much is [amount and currency] in [currency]?
- How many kilograms is a pound?
- How many meters are in a mile? (These conversions can be asked for weight, volume, distance, etc.).
- What is 1+1? (Or any other math problem).
- What is Barack Obama’s height?
- When is [holiday]?
- When is sunrise?
- When is sunset?
- Is [business name] open right now?
- What time is it in [location]?
- Search for [search query].
- Show me [food type] recipes.
- How do I make [drink/food name]?
- How many calories are in [food/drink name]?
- What is in the news?
Best Siri commands for productivity
- Set a timer for [time duration].
- Wake me up at [time].
- Set an alarm for [time]. (You can also specify days of the week).
- What alarms do I have?
- Set an appointment with [name] at [time].
- Cancel appointment with [name] at [time].
- What appointments do I have today (or any other day).
- Remind me to [reminder] at [time and date].
Best Siri commands for navigation and traveling
- Take me home.
- Take me to [location].
- What’s traffic like on my way to [location].
- Where is [location/business]?
- Where is the nearest [location/business]?
- What’s my ETA? (When navigating).
- What is the weather like in [location]?
- Check status of [airline and flight number].
- How do I get to [location] by [mode of transportation]?
More posts about apple
Best Siri commands for entertainment
- Is [movie] playing around me?
- Did the [sports team] win?
- Tell me the scores for the [sports teams] match.
- What is the synopsis of [movie]?
- Play [song].
- Stop this song.
- Skip this song.
- Play more songs like this one.
- Play my playlist.
- After this, play [song].
Best Siri commands for smart home users
Keep in mind the following Siri commands are for those who use HomeKit and have smart home products. These are purchased separately and require a more complex set-up.
- Turn the lights on/off.
- Turn the [room name] lights on/off.
- Turn the kettle on/off.
- Set the temperature to [degrees].
- What is the temperature in [room name]?
- Is the [room name] door locked?
- Lock/unlock the [room name] door.
Best funny Siri commands
Just for kicks and giggles!
- Tell me a joke.
- Knock knock.
- What does the fox say?
- Why did the chicken cross the road?
- What are you wearing?
- Talk dirty to me.
- Will you marry me?
- Do you have a boyfriend?
- Blue pill or red pill?
- Is winter coming?
- What is the meaning of life?
More posts about
Best secret Siri commands
Then there are the silly Siri commands that are actually helpful.
- Flip a coin.
- Roll a die.
- What is [Twitter handle] saying on Twitter?
- Find nearby friends.
- Show me photos with [name].
- What can you do?
Now that you have a healthy list of the best Siri commands, you can go and enjoy your Apple products to the fullest. Got any other cool Siri commands? Share them in the comments!