Chromebooks are great at so many things. They’re an inexpensive alternative to many laptops and their storage is largely cloud-based for extra convenience. You can use them for all of your chat needs, but what if you want to use Skype on Chromebook devices? There are actually two ways to use Skype on Chromebook products, so let’s jump right in and show you how it’s done.
Editor’s tip: New to the world of Chromebooks? Our Chromebook Buyer’s guide helps explain what a Chromebook can and can’t do, your options, and more.
How to use Skype on Chromebook using the browser
Chrome OS is all about the web, so using the browser is a simple way to get things done. Here’s how to use Skype for Chromebook via the Chome browser:
- Open your Chrome browser.
- Navigate to the Skype website.
- Click on the Chat now button.
- Log in using your username (or email account or phone number) and password.
Once you’ve signed in, that’s it. You’re now ready to use Skype to chat with friends, use video, add new contacts, and everything else you usually do — on a Chromebook.
Next: How to install Kodi on a Chromebook
Use the Android app
While Skype isn’t included out of the box, most modern Chromebooks now support Android apps, and that means you can simply fire up Google Play and download it!
- Head to the Google Play Store and download Skype.
- Follow the basic installation instructions.
- Once it’s installed, you should find Skype in the app drawer (that little circle to the bottom left).
- Open up the app, log in, and you are set!
More: Our favorite Android apps for Chromebooks
The Linux app is another great option
The list of Chromebooks that also support Linux apps continues to grow. If yours does, this is likely the best way to get Skype on Chromebook devices. You can get a much better experience, thanks to the desktop-focused design.
- Head over to Skype’s download page.
- You’ll see a Get Skype for _____ under the Skype for Desktop section. Click on the downward arrow to see options.
- Select Get Skype for Linux DEB.
- Find the file in your Downloads folder and double click on it.
- Follow instructions to finish installation.
- Open the Linux app and sign in.
Don’t forget to check out the links below to learn more about using Chromebooks and our hardware recommendations.